The Cardiopulmonary Department at Medical Center Hospital provides a broad range of diagnostic and therapeutic services for both inpatient and outpatient care. Cardiopulmonary Services include:
- Cardiopulmonary Testing (ABG, PFT,EKG,EEG)
- Sleep Diagnostics
- Lung Disease Education
- Tobacco Cessation
- Pulmonary Rehab
- Respiratory Care Services
Patients that have been diagnosed with asthma, emphysema, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), angina, coronary artery disease, heart attack and other conditions benefit from the care of a Respiratory Therapist. Cardiopulmonary Services include a wide range of therapeutic and diagnostic services to patients with heart and lung disorders. Respiratory Care Practitioners or Respiratory Therapists deliver medications and other therapies to patients thus improving the patient’s ease of breathing. MCH Registered Respiratory Therapists focus on educating you and your family on what to expect during and after testing, including the community resources available to help you cope with your condition.
MCH Respiratory Therapists are important members of the health care team. They work under the medical direction of physicians to treat patients ranging from premature infants whose lungs are not fully developed to elderly people with lung disease. They provide temporary relief to patients with chronic asthma or emphysema, as well as emergency care to patients who are victims of a heart attack or stroke.
What does a Respiratory Therapist do?
- Assist in diagnosing lung and breathing disorders
- Assess and recommend evidenced based treatments for these disorders
- Communicate effectively with physicians and other members of the healthcare team
- Operate state of the art equipment to diagnose and treat specific lung diseases
- Educate patients and families about lung disease and proper disease management in the home
What is expected of a respiratory therapist at Medical Center Health System?
- MCHS requires that all respiratory therapists be Registered Respiratory Therapists (RRT) by the National Board for Respiratory Care
- All members of the respiratory team must abide by the MCHS ICARE values
- I = Integrity
- C = Customer Centered
- A = Accountability
- R = Respect
- E = Excellence
For more information on Cardiopulmonary Services at MCH, please call (432) 640-1235.