Thank you for your interest in the MCHS Junior Volunteer Teen Leadership Program!
Volunteer Services Department of Medical Center Health System encourages the community to “Get lnvolved…Get Excited…Make a Difference”.
As one of the volunteer teams at MCH, the Junior Volunteer Teen Leadership Program or JVTLP is a year round program that provides teens many opportunities to experience the world of healthcare in a professional environment. Teen volunteers and their parents along with Medical Center Health System and the Medical Center Health System Auxiliary are proud sponsors of the JVTLP and are critical to the overall success of the program.
Supporting and advocating for teens is more than a program. It is a commitment to helping young adults know who they are, what they want to learn, and how they want to be valued as well as inviting them to the decision making table alongside adults. Our patients’ lives are deepened through the energy and compassion of our teen volunteers.
JVTLP’s primary purpose is to provide teens from 14 – 17 years of age or graduating senior a firsthand opportunity to acquire life time leadership skill sets and to expose them to healthcare careers. Employees, physicians and volunteers from every department play a key role in the program.
Leadership opportunities are based upon the needs, requests of our health system and the shared experiences and feedback of the teens in the program. Another leadership component to JVTLP is the election of JVTLP officers by their own peers and they assist with leadership, advisory and vision of the Junior Volunteer Teen Leadership Program of Medical Center Hospital.
JVTLP Officers facilitate and present JV weekly meetings at JV Debriefings and they also coordinate other teen led events and programs during the summer. MCHS Volunteer Services Department determines the program calendar of events and special functions in which JV’s may acquire additional hours.
- A Junior Volunteer (JV) must be at least 14 years of age by June 1 of the year they are applying to be a volunteer
- Applications are ONLY available October 1st – December 31st of each year on our website at MCHOdessa.com/Organizations/Volunteer Services.
- Applicants will be contacted for an interview in late February and must pass all hospital required screenings before being accepted as a Jr. Volunteer.
- New applicants will be accepted based on how many openings are available each year as many of our current JV return yearly until they graduate.
- Students selected into the program must attend a hospital in-service orientation in the Spring.
- Volunteer hours transferred from other hospitals will be accepted when a letter of recommendation and verification is received from the transferring healthcare system.
- JV will wear a uniform which consists of red Polo shirt, MCH issued vest, khaki pants and closed toed shoes.
- Volunteer hours earned are honored and accepted by the Texas Scholars Program.
- JV cannot volunteer for more than 8 hours in one day
- Shifts Mon-Friday are from 8:30am to 12:30pm and from 1:00pm to 5:00pm.
- JV will have a variety of areas to serve in and will self-schedule their assignments.
- JV are encouraged to volunteer for MCH sponsored special events usually held on weekends throughout the year. Shifts will vary depending on the need.
- JV are required and should be committed to volunteer at least 15 hrs monthly in June, July and August. Other hours can be acquired throughout the year by assisting with Special Events.
- Service Award Hours are presented to Junior Volunteers at the annual awards celebration event normally scheduled in August
- Medical Floors
- IT Department
- Main Volunteer Desks
- Central Supply
- Health & Wellness Department
- Recovery Room WSMP
- Medical Staff
- Business Office
- Wound Care
- Performance Improvement