Medical Center Health System upholds the highest standards for protecting our patients, staff members, and students from the spread of disease and illness. Clinical clearance for all students is mandatory for clinical rotations within the health system. The guidelines for vaccines and/or proof of antibodies are based on the recommendations of the Center for Disease Control (CDC).
All students and clinical instructors are required to submit copies of the results of the following tests to the Health and Wellness Department one (1) week prior to first day of clinical rotations for clearance.
The requirements are:
- Current TB test or current chest x-ray (within 6 months)
- Tetanus-diphtheria (TD or TDAP) within the past 10 years. The CDC now recommends TDAP for anyone 18 years and older.
- Hepatitis B vaccines.
- Proof of 2 MMR vaccines if born after January 1957.
- Documentation of chicken pox (Varicella disease) and or vaccine.
**Note Immunity can be demonstrated through laboratory blood tests showing positive antibodies for Hepatitis B, MMR, and Varicella vaccines.
- A current urine/drug screen test must be done within two (2) weeks of first scheduled clinical rotation day.
- Flu vaccine if in clinical rotations between the months of October and March, unless there is a written medical or religious exemption.
- Individuals requesting exemption due to a medical contraindication must provide proof via a letter from private physician to include documentation of adverse reaction to influenza vaccine of allergy to vaccine component.
- Individuals requesting religious exemption must provide a letter from clergy supporting the exception as documentation. Request must be consistent with prior immunization history.
Please direct any questions about the above requirements to the Health and Wellness department
at (432) 640-1154.